This is a hugely exciting PART TIME opportunity for the right individual to take up the leadership of a vital front-line charity at a pivotal moment in its development.ASN is now looking for a highly experienced senior manager who will be able to help us continue to grow and perform at our very best. With responsibility for oversight of all areas of the charity’s operations, the new Director will work closely with the Service and Volunteer Manager, our contracted Fundraising Manager and the board of trustees in order to ensure ASN is delivering against our ambitious goals.
In particular, the Director will have responsibility for management and delivery of strategy, organisational oversight and compliance and relationship building and communication with key stakeholders.
Salary: £42k - £45k pro-rata, more for an exceptional candidate
Reports to: Trustee Board via the Chair
Direct reports: Service & Volunteer Manager, Bookkeeper, Fundraising Manager
Hours of work: Part time (0.4-0.6 FTE to be negotiated) on a flexible working pattern.
Some weekend and evening working will be required.
- Management and delivery of strategy.
- Organisational oversight and compliance.
- Relationship building and communication with key stakeholders.
1. Management and delivery of strategy
- Work closely with Trustees to ensure clarity of ASN’s charitable aims and strategy;
- Develop annual targets and plan for ASN;
- Work with the Trustees to develop and deliver ASN’s strategy;
- Attend Trustee Board meetings and provide reports to the Board against targets;
- Attend the Annual General Meeting and provide reports against targets;
- Primary responsibility for managing risk, particularly in the delivery of services directly to clients, the management of volunteers, and ASN’s reputation;
- Primary responsibility for ensuring ASN’s work complies with current legislation and relevant guidance and regulations;
- Lead on developing and delivering strategic written documents on key strategy areas as directed by the Board.
2. Organisational oversight and compliance
- Ensure that ASN operates legally and in full compliance with the law and regulation through the provision and implementation of policies, procedures and training – particularly (but not limited to) in relation to the following areas of key activity:
- Data protection
- Health & safety
- The employment of staff and volunteers
- Charity law and governance
- Ensure that ASN operates effectively and efficiently – particularly (but not limited to) in the following areas of key activity:
- Effective recruitment, induction, training and management of staff and volunteers
- Ensure the provision of a high quality service to clients
- Ensure the provision of effective and targeted communications
- Ensure effective and compliant fundraising
- Effective monitoring and reporting of ASN's activities
- Provision of adequate and compliant infrastructure
- Responsible for the overall financial, resource and asset management of ASN, ensuring the long-term financial sustainability of the organisation.
3. Relationships building and communication with key stakeholders
- Represent ASN at key meetings/conferences and events;
- Network with and build new relationships with individuals and organisations that further ASN’s aims – particularly in terms of fundraising, and reaching new service users;
- Promote ASN in the media and other places to further ASN’s aims and serve as spokesperson;
- Foster good relationships with funders and other stakeholders and provide relevant reports and information where required;
- Promote fundraising with supporters and external parties.
Qualifications and experience
Demonstrable experience and success in a senior management role over the last 5 years.
Knowledge & Skills
A high awareness of the following areas of the organisation and an ability to perform effectively in delivering them.
- General management of the organisation including HR, volunteer management, equal opportunities, health & safety, organisational structures, compliance with charity law.
- Understanding of the challenges facing people and organisations in Ireland and Northern Ireland in accessing abortion services and getting/giving information about abortion services;
- Financial management and fundraising.
- Team leadership and demonstrated experience of managing change.
- Proven experience in delivering the strategic objectives of an organisation.
- Excellent networking and relationship building skills – with a proven ability to build relationships that strategically benefit the organisation.
- An interest in developing the role in a flexible working environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral).
- A demonstrable commitment to the pro-choice ethos of the organisation
- Enthusiastic and flexible, quick to grasp opportunities arising
- Able to work independently
- Ability to relate relationally and empathically to people from a wide range of backgrounds and beliefs
NOTE: Occupational requirement
Director must be pro-choice. This will be evaluated in interview with the Trustees.
ASN provides financial assistance, practical information and accommodation to people travelling from the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man to access legal, safe abortion services in England.
ASN was founded by Mara Clarke in October 2009 when we heard from just 4 clients and gave grants totalling £300. Since then, the organisation has not stopped growing, and in 2016 we heard from over 800 clients and gave grants totalling more than £40,000.
We are now looking to take our expansion further, in order to reach even more women requiring our support to be able to access the abortion services they need.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.